Alright, so before I start this, I want to apologize for not taking many pictures during this process. I am new to this cooking thing.
I work for a family based non-profit. In the school year, that means that I run before and after school programming for elementary school students (along with various other sorts of grunt labor tasks). In the summer, that means summer camp. After 10 weeks at a residential camp, I finished off the summer with a week at the day camp. On Wednesday the staff bring in treats for eachother, and the theme was”Hippie Day”. I instantly thought of tie dye cupcakes. They turned out wonderfully!
Super cute & they were also super easy to make! Here’s how it’s done!
- White Cake Mix (or make your own using this awesome recipe)
- Gel food coloring (more vibrant colors)
- Frosting (I made this delicious buttercream frosting)
- Prepare cake batter as directed. Then divide it equally into six small bowls.
- Stir in coloring to each bowl as follows: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple.
- Prepare cupcake tin with papers.
- Add a dollop of each color in order to each paper. (a little bit of each color in order). It doesn’t matter if they touch the “wrong” colors, that just adds to the tie dye effect.
- Bake as directed.
- Let cool, then ice.